I am an aero-philatelist. I find that there are very few website devoted to this branch of philately so I thought blog which will help popularize this branch of philately.
Aero-philately is a branch of philately specializing in the collection of philatelic items relating to airmails. Aero-philatelists study the development of airmails and tell the story of the development of aviation through stamps, covers postmarks etc.
The scope of aerophilately includes:
- airmail postage stamps, both official and unofficial
- stamps depicting various aspect of "aviation" eg. aircraft, airlines, airports etc.
- other types of labels (such as airmail etiquettes)
- all kinds of mail transmitted by air
- postal markings related to air transport
- first flights and other "special" flights covers
- rates and routes
- mail recovered from aircraft accidents and other incidents (crash covers)
Besides the study of airmail transport by fixed-wing aircraft, the fields of balloon mail, helicopter mail, dirigible mail, zeppelin mail, missile mail, and rocket mail are active subspecialties. Astrophilately, the study of mail in space, is a related area.
I'll explain the various nuances in future posts, with pictures etc.
Please contact me if you are a fellow enthusiast or want to know more about aero-philately.